In remaking the 1984 coming-of-age parable Footloose
, director Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow
) remains true to the story of a big-city boy moving to a small town where public dancing is against the law. But by resetting it from the Midwest to the South, he gives the Footloose
soundtrack a whole new sound.
Many of the movie’s signature hits get fairly faithful remakes, except that they’ve all gone country, especially The Voice coach Blake Shelton’s rendition of Kenny Logins’ title track and Victoria Justice and Hunter Hayes’ “Almost Paradise,” which puts a sunny patina on the Mike Reno-Ann Wilson love song.
A couple of surprising gems emerge: 15-year-old South Carolina native Ella Mae Bowen’s plaintive ballad version of “Holding Out for a Hero” reveals an unsuspected tenderness to Bonnie Tyler’s song, and Cee Lo Green delights on the traditional Robert Johnson blues standard “Walkin’ Blues,” while “Fake ID” by Big & Rich is a stamp-along hootin’-tootin’ party.
Others are less successful, like One Tree Hill actress-turned-singer Jana Kramer’s frenetically overproduced “Let’s Hear It for the Boy,” which fails to capture the sweetness of Deniece Williams’ original.
Here’s the complete track list:
1. “Footloose,” Blake Shelton
2. “Where the River Goes,” Zac Brown
3. “Little Lovin’,” Lissie
4. “Holding Out for a Hero,” Ella Mae Bowen
5. “Let’s Hear It for the Boy,” Jana Kramer
6. “So Sorry Mama,” Whitney Duncan
7. “Fake ID,” Big & Rich (featuring Gretchen Wilson)
8. “Almost Paradise,” Victoria Justice and Hunter Hayes
9. “Walkin’ Blues,” CeeLo Green (featuring Kenny Wayne Shepherd)
10. “Magic in My Home,” Jason Freeman
11. “Suicide Eyes,” A Thousand Horses
12. “Dance the Night Away,” David Banner (featuring Denim)
Both of the movie’s lead actors are professional dancers; though Zac Efron (High School Musical
) and Chace Crawford (Gossip Girl
) were both reportedly attached at various points, relative unknown Kenny Wormald (Center Stage: Turn It Up
) plays Ren McCormack (the role that made Kevin Bacon famous). His love interest, Ariel, is played by Dancing with the Stars pro — and country singer — Julianne Hough (Lori Singer in the original). Dennis Quaid plays Ariel’s father, Rev. Moore (John Lithgow), and Andie MacDowell (Dianne Wiest) rounds out the cast.
The Footloose soundtrack is available for download September 23. The movie hits theaters October 14.