• Zac Efron will star in the spy thriller Fire from comic book scribe Brian Michael Bendis. Could this be Efron’s audition for James Bond? You know they’ll American-ize him at some point.
• George Lucas is reportedly producing a CGI movie musical which the director of TMNT will helm. Are there three scarier words than “George Lucas CGI musical”?
• Mel Gibson has signed on to star in Cold Warrior, a spy thriller from director Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). Action Mel is back! Forget about all that other recent stuff.
• Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige confirmed that the Hulk will appear in The Avengers movie, and that he hopes Edward Norton will return. He also hoped Norton won’t be rewriting the script on set, but that’s a whole different story.
• Zelda Rubinstein, known for her role in Poltergeist and other movies, passed away at the age of 76.
from Nikki Finke’s Deadline Hollywood Daily by TIM ADLER
I’ve learned that Harvey Weinstein wants to buy back the
Miramax name from Disney.
from Hollywood Reporter by By Jay A. Fernandez and Gregg
Lisa Cholodenko’s drama-tinged comedy “The Kids Are All
Right” has found a quick home after its packed, enthusiastic screening.
from MTV Movies Blog by Adam Rosenberg
One of the Sundance titles that’s been gathering a lot of
buzz is “HIGH School.”
from EW.com: Movies
Owen Gleiberman on a rip-roaring documentary that follows trailblazer as she
riffs, performs, worries, complains, and scrupulously prepares her act.
from /Film by firstname.lastname@example.org (slashfilm.com)
Every film festival should have at least one controversial film. The outcry so
far this year is coming in response to Michael Winterbottom’s adaptation of the
Jim Thompson novel The Killer Inside Me, starring Casey Affleck, Jessica
Alba and Kate Hudson.
from NYT > Movies by By BROOKS BARNES
Tilda Swinton, the avant-garde actress from Scotland, is at
Sundance with “I Am Love,” has a soft spot for Pixar movies,
particularly one about rat who becomes a chef.
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 27 (UPI) — Mary J. Blige and Andrea
Bocelli are scheduled to perform “Bridge Over Troubled Water” at Sunday’s
Grammy Awards show in Los Angeles, CBS said.
from The Hollywood Reporter – Awards by By Gregg Kilday
Comedian Eddie Izzard will serve as master of ceremonies at
the 25th Film Independent Spirit Awards on March 5 at LA Live in downtown Los
Avatar tops Tuesday’s box office with $3.2 million
from MSNBC.com: Movies
Warner Bros. will release the next two “Harry Potter” films in 3-D, a
move underscoring the post-“Avatar” rush for extra-dimensional box
from MTV Movies Blog by Christopher Campbell
One of the very first movies George Lucas
worked on was a musical: Francis Ford Coppola’s “Finian’s Rainbow.”
from Entertainment Weekly’s News Briefs by Archana Ram
Seven Pounds director Gabriele Muccino is in advanced
negotiations to direct Passengers, a sci-fi romance movie starring Keanu Reeves,
from MTV Movies Blog by Rick Marshall
Moreso than most movies, “Scott
Pilgrim Vs. The World” has us feeling terribly conflicted.
The Conan O’Brien saga at NBC may be over, but Jay Leno’s
may just be beginning.
NEW YORK (AP) — Jennifer Lopez will play a self-help expert
on an episode of the CBS comedy “How I Met Your Mother” in March.
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 27 (UPI) — NBC has ordered a U.S. drama television
pilot from Conan O’Brien’s Conaco production company, Variety reported.
from The Live Feed by hollywoodreporter
ABC is making this the final season of “Ugly Betty.”
from Idolator: Music News, Reviews, And Gossip by Robbie Daw
from Paste Magazine
We, along with all the other folks in the music world who
care about such things, thought 2010 would bring a new album from Icelandic
post-rockers Sigur Rós.
from The Music Mix by Simon Vozick-Levinson
Justin Timberlake and Matt Morris’ slow, heartfelt cover of Leonard
Cohen’s classic “Hallelujah” was a definite highlight of Jan. 22’s Hope for
Haiti Now telethon.
The 4-foot-3 actress made her film debut in
1981; she later was a regular on the TV show ‘Picket Fences.’ Rubinstein also
was an advocate for little people and an early AIDS activist.