• Michael Jackson’s This Is It topped the worldwide box office this past weekend with $68.5 million. Domestically, it took in $21.3, beating Paranormal Activity for the top spot. The documentary will also stay in theaters past its initial two-week engagement. It’s a great film and all, but it’s no Moonwalker. That one had giant robot Michael fighting drug dealer Joe Pesci.
• The original screenwriters of Who Framed Roger Rabbit will return for Robert Zemeckis’ proposed sequel. Will it be another mix of live-action and animation, or will Roger be paired with a creepy motion-captured Bob Hoskins?
• The writers behind Tron Legacy will tackle the Ouija Board movie. From video game movie to board game movie. Isn’t that more of a lateral move?
• Filmmaker Wes Anderson is planning to direct a movie set in outer space. At last, he’ll have a legitimate reason to use David Bowie’s “Life on Mars” on the soundtrack.
• Peter Segal is reportedly taking the reigns of The Jetsons movie from Robert Rodriguez. But who will play Rosie the Maid? Robin Williams in robot drag, perhaps?
• Morgan Freeman is attached to star in the comedy Dirty Old Man. Word is the studio wants to reteam Freeman with his Bucket List
costar Jack Nicholson for the project. Funny, our “bucket list”
includes the wish that these two will someday make a watchable movie