This week, the Los Angeles Times discusses James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction with the man himself, while the quality of the show’s guests impress Screen Rant. Plus, Indie Wire gets Cameron’s take on the series. Read on for more:
• James Cameron tells the Los Angeles Times that the show was “something I have imagined doing many times over the years. I was kind of inspired by Martin Scorsese’s series on film noir. He was so knowledgeable on that subject that having his voice lead us into that realm was pretty fascinating.”
• Screen Rant concludes that the show “works as an exploration on the influence science fiction has had on popular culture, and also as a celebration of the genre and, naturally, the filmmakers whose movies not only popularized it and helped bring it into the mainstream, but turned it into one of the most dominant forces in Hollywood.”
• According to Indie Wire, James Cameron calls the show — in which he interviews luminaries like Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan, Will Smith and Sigourney Weaver — “a jamfest. An opportunity to get together and jam. And also a chance to see what made them tick, what got them excited.”
• Bleeding Cool recaps the first episode, “Aliens,” calling it “novel to hear these filmmakers and actors speak to (and about) Cameron one on one, seeing [George] Lucas light specifically is something we haven’t seen in a long time.”
• According to Channel Guide Magazine, James Cameron says, “I think my big contribution to the show, frankly, was calling up Steven [Spielberg] and saying, ‘Hey, let’s do an interview.’ Calling up George [Lucas] and saying, ‘Hey, you’ve made a @#$%-ton of money off of science fiction. Let’s give something back to the genre. Let’s talk about it.'”
Watch the Series Premiere, “Aliens,” on amc.com and AMC apps for mobile, Fire TV, Xbox One, Apple TV, Roku and Chromecast.
James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction airs Mondays at 10/9c. To get more James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction extras like interviews, behind-the-scenes videos and more, sign up for the Insiders Club.Read More