Ultimate John Wayne Fan: Jennifer Klein
Hometown: Gainesville, FL
Profession: Upcoming senior at the University of Florida, majoring in Criminology
For Jennifer Klein, the ideal lazy day — and she admits she’s cut class a few times to have them — consists of a bowl of popcorn and a John Wayne marathon: “The Shootist, True Grit, North to Alaska,” she says. “I like Red River because it was the one time when John Wayne was the villain, and I can’t stop watching Without Reservations — it’s such a nice change of pace to just watch him have some fun and have a little romance without having to save the frontier.” If nothing else, says the ultimate fan, The Duke and his films can teach us all a lesson in perseverance: “Wayne was headstrong and tough and didn’t back down, which proves that anyone can get what they want if they show those qualities too — minus the gun.”
Ultimate John Wayne Fan Quiz Answers:
1. What was John Wayne’s birth name?
Marion Michael Morrison
2. Comedic impressions frequently riff on Wayne calling some tenderfoot “Pilgrim,” even though he only used the insult repeatedly in one movie. What movie was it?
3. What exactly is Ethan Edwards looking for in The Searchers?
4. What movie did Wayne make in support of the Vietnam War?
5. How does Lt. Col. Benjamin Vandervoort invade Normandy in The Longest Day?
He parachutes in
6. In which movie is Wayne entrusted to fetch his partner’s fiancee?
North to Alaska
7. What real historical event caused the series of Cheyenne attacks portrayed in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon?
Battle of Little Big Horn
8. In which film does Wayne say: “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
9. What does Wayne’s character, Sheriff John T. Chance, accuse Angie Dickinson’s character, Feathers, of in Rio Bravo?
Cheating at the poker game
10. Wayne shows off his pole climbing skills at a loggers’ picnic in which movie?
North to Alaska
11. How much is the ransom for Little Jake in Big Jake?
12. In The Shootist, John Wayne buys a paper when he arrives in Carson City, and spends the rest of the film reading it. What is the headline on the paper?
England’s Queen Victoria Has Died
13. Wayne often played characters based on real life cowboys or soldiers. In what movie did he play a character based on Red Adair, the legendary oil field firefighter?
14. In The Searchers, Wayne’s partner Martin Pawley is given something he doesn’t want because of a misunderstanding. What is it?
He gets an Indian wife
15. Which late actor wanted John Wayne’s role in The Longest Day?
Charlton HestonRead More