1. The organizers of Pittsburgh’s Zombie Walk events are going for a world record with a World Zombie Day food drive. Here’s hoping the record will be for non-perishable foods, and not bite-mark hospitalizations.
2. Still going through zombie withdrawal? Fear not, because a new clip from George A. Romero’s upcoming Diary of the Dead hit the Internet, whetting fans’ undead appetites for the premiere next week.
3. We learned not ALL writers’ groups hate the world — the Horror Writers Association announced scary scribes John Carpenter and Robert Weinberg would be receiving lifetime achievement awards at this year’s World Horror Convention.
4. A trailer for M. Night Shyamalan’s newest project, The Happening, hit the net. The teaser looked spooky enough, and we’re hoping to avoid a Lady in the Water repeat.
5. Insomnifest announced they would launch pay-per-view online horror rentals for the world’s first ever online film festival.
Monsterfest Talk Forum: While the debate rages on as to who is the biggest city crusher in all of monster films — it seems to be between Godzilla and King Kong at this point–the war is not over! Tell us your favorite and enter to win a Godzilla DVD. Meanwhile, the forum is discussing what genre of horror defines the current decade. Microwaved ponders that “maybe the naughts are the era where we just complain about everything.” But, he says there’s hope — Neil Marshall’s Doomsday (some may argue it looks cliche) and George A. Romero’s Diary of the Dead (another zombie flick). Are we out of horror genres to exploit? Log on to the Talk forum and tell us your opinion, or start a new conversation.Read More