(airing tonight on AMC at 8pm, 7pm Central) is an inspiration to every industrious woman trapped beneath the glass
ceiling by her class or her gender. Tess
McGill (Melanie Griffith) is smart and career-minded, but her "bod for
sin" and her Staten Island roots keep her from being taken seriously.
Tess isn’t squeaky clean, and that
makes her character seem more real. She
impersonates her boss, has questionable taste in men, and mixes alcohol
with Valium. But we root for her because
deep down, she’s a nice girl and deserves to win.
It’s hard not to be hooked by the opening sequence, which features the Manhattan skyline and the
Academy Award-winning song "Let the River Run," and you’ll want to stick
around to hear Joan Cusack (as Tess’ best friend Cyn) utter the immortal line:
1. "Sometimes I dance around in my underwear; that
don’t make me Madonna."
More memorable quotes:
2. "You want another answer, ask another girl."
3. "You know where you can bury your hatchet? Now get your bony ass outta my sight!"
1. Michelle Pfeiffer and Meryl Streep were considered for the roles of Tess McGill and Katharine Parker.
2. Kevin Spacey was brought in as a last-minute replacement for another actor in the part of Bob Speck.
3. Some scenes were shot in Staten Island, New York City.